Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Jesus speaks through the Republicans

Via the Daily Kos:

I hope the election of George W. Bush is seen as a wake-up call to all the liberal Democrats who oppose God's will.
It is His doing that George W. Bush is still our president. Millions of born-again Christians helped win this election through our prayers and votes. Jesus speaks through the Republicans.
The Democrats will not be able to win elections until they renounce their sinful ways and stop encouraging abortions, gayness, and trying to take away our guns.

Earl Balboa
Washington Township
(mcall.com)


Reading something like that never fails to make me feel intelligently superior, but then I remember that these people get to choose who runs my world (as pointed out by The Chaser Decides team, this person votes) and I want to cry.

I have decided to do my Honours thesis on the development of the Christian Right, both in Australia and the USA. I'd been tossing around the idea of looking at political satire because it'd be loads of fun, but last month my supervisor, Dr Bob, suggested I pick an issue that really pisses me off as a topic because then I'd be motivated to research and discuss it for a year. I can also argue against it properly when the oppurtunity arises.

Now I don't plan to sit down next year and outline how Jesus cannot possibly speak through the Republicans given that his own platform was so clearly left-wing (was JC's gun as shiny as yours, Earl?), but I hope to nut out some issues such as: What is the place of religion in politics? Why is the issue growing in countries where the separation of Church and state is a constituionally enshrined concept? And why does it scare me so much?

But before I can write an Honours thesis, I suppose I should pass my exams this semester.

No comments: